When you enroll in an addiction recovery program at Fort Behavioral Health in Fort Worth, Texas, you will also receive mental health treatment to address the root causes of your addiction. Our team provides a wide array of therapeutic approaches, depending on your needs for recovery while in rehab. One of our most effective methods for sustained recovery is to teach you deep breathing techniques for recovery.
What Are Deep Breathing Techniques for Recovery?
Deep breathing techniques for recovery are meant to be a foundational element of your mental health treatment while in our residential treatment program in Fort Worth, Texas. Some of the most common deep breathing techniques for recovery are:
- Alternate nostril breathing – This type of deep breathing exercise is helpful for people dealing with a great deal of anxiety and stress. It involves breathing through alternate nostrils during each breath cycle.
- Abdominal breathing – Abdominal breathing focuses on the stomach area when breathing instead of the chest. This leads to fuller breaths and increased feelings of relaxation.
- The Lion’s Breath – This method involves exhaling through an open mouth with the tongue protruding. Then, the participant makes a noise as the breath leaves their body, which is reported to improve circulation as well as help with relaxation.
- Ujjayi Breath – This technique has people take long, deep breaths that cause a vibration noise in the back of the throat. This practice is said to promote relaxation and help to prevent insomnia.
No matter which of the deep breathing techniques for recovery you choose, our Fort Behavioral Health team will help guide you to practice these methods effectively. In time, deep breathing techniques for recovery can become a cornerstone of your dual diagnosis treatment program.
What Are the Benefits of Deep Breathing Techniques for Recovery?
Holistic treatment in a rehab program at Fort Behavioral Health focuses on healing the mind, body, and spirit. Meditation and yoga are healthy activities that use breathing techniques to help clear the mind and renew the spirit. These activities allow you to be more focused and have a clearer perspective. In fact, clearing the mind in an oxygen-rich environment helps the brain to heal and function without the control of drugs or alcohol.
Studies have shown that when you’re using deep breathing techniques for recovery, there are numerous benefits, including:
- Lowered stress levels
- Lessened symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Boosts self-esteem
- Elevates mood
- Improves sleep patterns
- Enhances the ability to cope with stressful situations
When you are receiving mental health treatment during addiction recovery at our Fort Worth, Texas facility, you’ll discover how much deep breathing techniques for recovery can help to solidify your new lifestyle that is free from drug and alcohol addiction.
Explore More About Deep Breathing Techniques for Recovery
Addiction takes a toll on your mind, body, and spirit. Treatment can be tailored to your unique needs so you can work on restoring your health, renewing your spirit, and freeing yourself from the control of drugs and alcohol. If you or a loved one is suffering from addiction, call us at 844.332.1807 for help. Fort Behavioral Health in Fort Worth, Texas, can provide the programs and addiction therapy programs to help you sustain long-lasting recovery.
The Fort Worth Recovery umbrella covers medically supervised detox and residential programs for men and women alike. Our programs are abstinence-based and combine a 12-step approach with a strong mental health component, integrating cutting-edge techniques such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR), Somatic Experiencing, and Motivational Interviewing. For more information or to start your healing journey, please fill out a contact request form, and one of our recovery experts will connect with you shortly.