Adversity is a state of hardship, difficulty, or misfortune that one deals with in life. There are six types of adversity that one can face, and facing adversities in life can break or make a person. It may lead one person to improve their life by finding ways around their challenges, or it may lead another person to turn to drugs or alcohol to lessen the psychological toll that their hardships cause.
Types of Adversity:
- Physical Adversity-Physical disability is an example of physical adversity. For example, a professional athlete may face physical adversity after experiencing a career-ending injury, which drastically changes their life’s trajectory. Furthermore, being blind, deaf, obese, or in chronic pain, and having to deal with the difficulties of those ailments may force someone to have to fight to achieve a normal life.
- Mental Adversity- A mental problem, or mental illness, may limit someone. Seeking help from a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist can greatly improve one’s life when dealing with mental adversity. Enhancing one’s well-being and achieving a normal life are the goals of seeking treatment.
- Emotional Adversity- Emotional maturity allows us to have a productive state of mind and face difficulties in life. Self-worth is vital to develop, as rage and sadness can lead to problems in dealing with daily life. We need to control our emotions so they do not control us.
- Social Adversity- Social interaction is crucial to human life. Being limited in social skills can severely limit a person from getting a job, making friends, or maintaining a family unit. Developing these skills can significantly improve one’s life.
- Spiritual Adversity- Faith in a higher power does not have to be a God, but faith is an advantage in life. It helps when one has hope, compassion, and love for themselves and others to cope with daily life.
- Financial Adversity- This may be the most apparent adversity that our society and the rest of the world faces. Not being able to afford necessities creates a barrier to leading a happy life, and can lead to jealousy and anger.
Everyone faces adversity in life, just at varying degrees and in different contexts. There are steps you can take to deal with your particular hardships or misfortunes and turn negative issues into positive life paths. Dedication, motivation, and belief in oneself are vital to improving our life circumstances, regardless of our adversities. If you are struggling with dealing with life’s hurdles, and are experiencing a subsequent addiction to drugs or alcohol to cope, understand that you are not alone and there is hope for a better future. If you or someone you know is struggling with an addiction to drugs or alcohol, call us today at 817-381-9741 or visit us online.