Helplessness, hopelessness, fear, and frustration are all terms that can be used to describe addiction. If you struggle with addiction, it’s difficult to invest in therapy when you’re just not sure it may work for you. Within a motivational interviewing program, that can change. It is a time for you to learn about the rewards that changing behaviors can bring into your life.
At Fort Behavioral Health, we offer a motivational interviewing program near Dallas because of the profound changes it can create in those seeking addiction support.
Understanding the Motivational Interviewing Program
Motivational interviewing is a complex process that is often a key component to successful drug and alcohol addiction treatment. In this type of therapy program, a therapist works closely with you to better understand your situation. They are empathetic and supportive. In order to better understand what is happening with you, the therapist asks questions and allows you to express yourself as much as you would like to.
At Fort Behavioral Health, there are some core principles of our motivational interviewing near Dallas that are valuable in the recovery process.
These principles include:
- Expressing empathy – The therapists work to show that they care and understand what you are going through. It involves listening and learning from their point of view but also never judging.
- Showing discrepancy – During active addiction, a lot of what a person believes isn’t true, but it isn’t easy to see that. In motivational interviewing, the therapist may work to point out that current behaviors are not helping a person achieve their goals. Recognizing this gap seems easy, but concluding that this gap is what they desire and what they are doing is more challenging.
- Overcoming change risks – Adjusting to change isn’t easy, and many people in addiction fight back against it. During this type of therapy, the therapist works to encourage talking about what’s occurring. Sometimes talking about why you use and the negative side effects of that use are helpful.
- Supporting optimism – The therapist continues to work with a person to help them make decisions on their own – the therapist doesn’t tell you what to do or feel. It’s about supporting both the positive and negative decisions a person may make on this journey towards recovery.
- Minimizing any confrontation – This path may be challenging for you, but it doesn’t have to involve arguments and confrontation with your therapist. There’s no forcing of an opinion on another person, but supporting instead.
Motivational interviewing is one of numerous addiction therapy programs available at Fort Behavioral Health. Each one creates opportunities for change. Yet, one of the foundations of motivational interviewing is showing you that it is up to you to change. When you do, you are likely to see numerous benefits during addiction therapy near Dallas with our team.
How Our Addiction Therapy Helps
At Fort Behavioral Health, we support you as you work through the process of recovery from addiction and dependence. That includes building a stronger, healthier future. To achieve these goals, we provide a range of therapy methods, each enabling a new look at how your life can improve with support and guidance, including motivational interviewing near Dallas.
Some of our therapy programs include:
- 12-Step programs
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Somatic experiencing program
- Trauma therapy programs
- Dialectical behavior therapy
Learn More About Treatment Options for You at Fort Behavioral Health
If you are interested in motivational interviewing near Dallas, put your trust in Fort Behavioral Health. Our team of trusted professionals offers the safe environment you need to work through addiction. It’s hard to make the decision to get help. Yet, once you do, you’ll find there is no better way to be in control of your future. Learn more about the services we offer when you call 844.332.1807 or connect with us online.