Addiction is a complicated disease that takes your brain hostage and controls how your brain functions. Drugs and alcohol affect the brain’s neurotransmitters, which send messages to the rest of the body to function normally. A dependence on drugs or alcohol interferes with relationships, financial stability, work productivity, and can lead to serious health complications, including overdose and death.
If you are struggling with an addiction, recovery can seem like an impossible dream. However, our team at Fort Behavioral Health in Fort Worth, Texas, wants you to know that it is possible to be free from drug or alcohol use with the right recovery program, determination, and lifestyle changes. At Fort Behavioral Health, we have found from years of experience in the substance abuse treatment field that healthy activities in recovery can be a valuable tool to refrain from drug and alcohol abuse.
Examples of Healthy Recovery Activities
When you are enrolled in an addiction treatment program at Fort Behavioral Health in Fort Worth, Texas, you learn strategies to help you maintain a sober lifestyle. One of the key components during substance abuse treatment with us is participating in healthy recovery activities. Some of the examples of healthy recovery activities you can try in our recovery program include:
- Mindfulness and morning stretch exercises
- Hiking or trail walking
The activities focus on physical and mental health and well-being. Being engaged in healthy activities will occupy your mind and help you adjust to your new, healthy lifestyle. An idle mind can make it easy to think of using drugs or alcohol or engage in addictive behavior. At Fort Behavioral Health in Fort Worth, Texas, pursuing healthy, sober activities will help to keep your mind from thinking about using drugs or alcohol again.
Benefits of Healthy Recovery Activities
Healthy recovery activities have numerous benefits during your rehab program and beyond, including:
- Lessens desire to use drugs or alcohol – Research has shown that regular activities can ease the cravings for drugs or alcohol and lead to an increase in the chances for sustained recovery.
- Reduces stress – Healthy recovery activities reduce stress, which is helpful during substance abuse treatment because recovery can be a challenging journey.
- Increases calmness – When you can keep calm even during times of chaos, you don’t feel the need for drugs or alcohol to cope with life.
- Gives you clarity – An addiction clouds your mind and judgment. When you participate in healthy recovery activities, you allow yourself to have a refreshed perspective of your life.
- Elevates mood – Simply put, healthy recovery activities make you feel good. When you are happy, you are more likely to continue with a pattern of positive behavior.
Once you get in the habit of healthy recovery activities, the more likely you are to continue them once you leave our residential treatment program.
Discover More Healthy Recovery Activities at Fort Behavioral Health
Addiction is isolating, but you do not need to suffer alone. Fort Behavioral Health in Fort Worth, Texas, wants you to see that treatment is available and there is hope for lifelong recovery. If you or a loved one struggles with addiction, get help in a rehab program for substance abuse treatment today by reaching out to our compassionate staff today at 844.332.1807.
The Fort Worth Recovery umbrella covers medically supervised detox and residential programs for men and women alike. Our programs are abstinence-based and combine a 12-step approach with a strong mental health component, integrating cutting-edge techniques such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR), Somatic Experiencing, and Motivational Interviewing. For more information or to start your healing journey, please fill out a contact request form, and one of our recovery experts will connect with you shortly.